One Nation recognises that registered firearm owners through their training are among the most responsible of all Australians. Federally, One Nation will encourage states and territories to:
- Increase penalties for crimes committed using a firearm and for any theft of a firearm.
- Remove firearms from anyone being investigated for terrorism offences.
- Review the NFA in consultation with all stakeholders and industry experts with the object of reducing red tape for legitimate firearm users, while increasing public safety through focusing on criminal misuse of firearms which the current NFA completely fails to address.
- Institute an ongoing firearms amnesty for any person who wishes to surrender a firearm or register an unregistered firearm.
- Streamline the current system of firearms licensing to make legitimate firearms ownership less costly and less convoluted.
- Standardise all firearm licenses to a 10-year renewal in line with other personal documentation such as a driver’s licence or passport.
- Remove from the NFA all provisions restricting firearms based on subjective appearance and adhere to the measurable categories of functionality as per the Australian Customs import test.
- Give customs additional funding and authority to search shipping containers entering Australia for illegal guns and illicit drugs.
- Maintain the ban on automatic firearms.
We will ensure primary producers and feral pest controllers continue to be able to use categories A, B, C, D and H firearms and recognise the valid needs of sporting shooters to be able to engage in a sport in which Australians have a long and proud history of excelling.